Pages

Friday, March 12, 2010

A day late

 

What are your Top 3 favorite things about being a parent?

So ... Yesterday was a BAD DAY (tm), but today is better, so I'm doing my Top Three Thursday on ... well ... Friday.  Because yesterday was all about fostering, I'm going to twist the answers to specifically address being a foster parent.

3: Watching the pain fade.  Watching him decide not to reach for a knife to cut himself, or to take his hurt and frustration out on the people around him in inappropriate ways.  Watching him decide that this family is where he needs to be ... even when times are rough.

2: Watching the smiles show up.  Watching him break into a simple, sweet smile at the drop of a hat, knowing that even if you had nothing to do with this particular good time, you helped set the attitude on life that allowed him to enjoy it.

1: One more mouthy teenager, without the intervening years!  I LOVE my rebellious, smart assed, foul mouthed teenagers.  I like that they'll tell me when I'm wrong, and argue their side even when they know they HAVE to lose (hey ... it's in my job description).  I didn't have to change his diaper.  I didn't have to deal with the terrible twos, or the whiny threes, or any of those other annoying middle years.

It's a painful process.  It's different than having one of your own.  But, if we can survive, the payoff is worth it!

        aka: goofdad

3 comments:

Confessions From A Work-At-Home Mom said...

You sound like an AMAZING foster dad-- or really, just an amazing DAD. You called your kids "my kids", no technical-legalese about it. They are lucky to have you!

Thanks for playing along and adding this twist-- I really enjoyed it!

~Elizabeth
Confessions From A Working Mom

Doug said...

Thanks for that! There are days I struggle ... with finances, with anger, with depression even.

Honestly, though, "my kids" is something I have never struggled with. They are each unique, and each one adds something special to my life. I couldn't do it without them.

Glad you enjoyed it!

The (Un)Experienced Mom said...

What you're doing is so admirable! Before deciding to stay at home with my boys, I was a therapist and often dealt with foster kids as I worked on an inpatient unit of a behavioral health hospital. All of their acting out just cried for someone to love them, someone to put up boundaries, someone to be their unconditional friend. So great that you get that opportunity!

Thanks for playing our meme!

Tamara
www.theunexperiencedmom.com
www.blogconferencenewbie.com