Pages

Sunday, March 25, 2012

You can teach an old dog new tricks …

EFP News of my death has been greatly … well … slightly exaggerated.  I was in CA for an exhausting week of back to back meetings, then I got sick …

In any case, before I went to CA, I went to the optometrist.  See, I’ve been getting headaches a lot more lately, and I actually got so tired a few weeks ago that I couldn’t even focus on the book I was reading.


The news was not exactly what you call, well, good.  Presbyopia and an astigmatism, both in my left eye …

Now, I’ve been farsighted all my life, so I’ve been to the optometrist often.  But I’m used to being able to read items near the bottom of the chart. … well past the “20/20” line.  Not any more.  When I covered my right eye, I couldn’t read past the top two or three lines.  Not being, well, stupid, I knew: that spelled disaster.

Yep.  Now I wear glasses from the time I rise in the morning to the time I go to sleep at night. And even that would have been OK had not my eye doctor (whom I know, go to church with, and is a wonderful friend) said to me something along the lines of: “Yeah … it happens to us all as we get older.  It’s no biggie”.  Thanks, Roger (no, I’m not ticked … just, well … damn).

My kids tell me I’m ancient often enough.  Now they have ammo.  To paraphrase Alcatraz (which, IMO, is a train wreck both as a police drama and as a supernatural drama … but my kids like it … guess I’m too old):  You can teach an old dog new tricks … but he still remains an old dog.

My new trick: glasses.  Here’s a picture of this old dog:
OldDog
I guess I can survive this.

        aka: goofdad

No comments: