Pages

Friday, March 9, 2012

Expressing some feelings about KONY 2012

So … the Kony 2010 meme has left facebook and youtube, and has now attacked me from multiple directions.  I started to post a facebook status about it, but failed.  It was too long!  SO, I’m turning to my OTHER public forum, my blog.



First, for those living in a internet meme black hole, I’ll share the video:

They’ve drawn a LOT of flak over that video, including, but not limited to:

  • Uses old footage
  • Kony is already out of Uganda
  • The Hitler footage is a cheap shot
  • This has been going on for ages, what makes THIS monster any different?

and … I agree with all of the above.  The video is a little too Michael Moore for me.  Conversely, Michael Moore has raised awareness on several issues, and made an incredible name for himself, by making videos like this, using the same questionable methods, so I hesitate to fault them too much for emulating his style!

 

BTW, here’s their official response to the various criticisms.

 

I’m torn.  On one hand, as pointed out by a friend of my son, this has been happening for eons, and people are only starting to pay attention because it’s been plastered over facebook.  As I said to him, though: That’s the point!  Additionally, I’m not sure that taking out this one monster is going to do anything significant to stabilize the region.  Conversly … it’s a start.  I do believe that ignoring problems in Uganda, Nigeria, and more is typical of the west, and that if we keep doing it it will come back to bite us in the ass … if not in my lifetime, in the lifetime of my children or my grandchildren … and that scares the shit out of me.

 

I guess, in the end, I have to refer back to myself:  Again, I’m feeling incredibly uninformed.  And the propaganda is aimed at making me biased.  BUT: to do nothing is to repeat the mistakes of the past and.  Change for changes sake can hardly hurt.  African politics is a mess, and getting involved can hardly hurt.

 

“All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing” -- Edmund Burke (maybe).  I don’t think we can survive doing nothing anymore.



        aka: goofdad

No comments: