Pages

Monday, February 22, 2010

Building our House

A bit ago, while Chris and I were arguing, Annika said the coolest thing to Bammy:

“Daddy and Mommy built our house for us”

Now, we’re not into construction, although we do many of our own repairs.  And no, we didn’t actually build the house we’re living in.  But it occurs to me, the more I think about it, that this is true.  We are building a home together, and we’re doing it day by day.  Here are some of my thoughts on this analogy proposed by my 6 year old wise woman:

  • Like any construction job, it’s never truly finished.  We'll keep working on it as long as we're able.
  • Like any construction job, there are setbacks.  Our family ebbs and flows, reaches out and reflects in.
  • Our children are both windows that show us the view outside and mirrors that reflect back on everything we do.
The more I think about it, the more I think our house is, overall, exactly what I have always wanted it to be.  It’s beautiful.  It’s safe.  It’s comforting.  It encourages togetherness.  It’s accepting.

So, this one is for Annika ... yes, we live in a house Mommy and Daddy built.  And we're still building.  Together, we can survive anything.

        aka: goofdad

No comments: