Pages

Friday, January 7, 2011

My son, the jewelcrafter

Let’s start by showing off his work.  For Christmas, Jules fixed up our wedding rings:

weddingrings.cropped And he made this ring for his mother out of silver wire and a lab grown sapphire:

julesring.cropped

You see, in his spare time, Jules has been working at the local jewelry store.  His interest in electronics and soldering has turned into an interest in metalwork, blacksmithing and jewel crafting.  He has impressed the local jeweler enough that they’ve cleaned off their second repair station out, and it’s now his workspace.  All that I knew … but he saved the big news until Christmas because he didn’t think it was such a big deal.

You see, the jeweler is so impressed with him that he has offered (verbally) to send him to school to be a jewel crafter, with a work contract on the flipside to pay it back.

One of my kids might actually get a real, paying job that has a possibility to grow into a career!  Don’t get me wrong: I respect Adam’s passion for his music, Jory’s love for children, but neither of them has a career lined up.

I don’t know if my heart can survive the excitement!



        aka: goofdad

PS: Bear with me … I’m really trying to get back into the swing of blogging again.  It’ll be spotty at first, but I’ll get there!   -- Doug!

No comments: